- Helping other people gives you a warm fuzzy feeling – and this may be the only time you feel that.
- It seems selfish to do things for yourself.
- This is how you learned to be, from the adults who influenced you as a child.
- You’re concerned that no one else will do it, or they won’t do it as well.
- It’s scary to let go of control.
- It’s a defense mechanism against thinking about or working on your own problems.
If putting yourself first seems like too big of a step, at least make sure your self-care is getting equal attention.